5.08.2011

My 1st Mother's Day

Brian & Izzy gave me these tulips (along with this awesome Yo Gabba Gabba kids music that makes Izzy grin) on Friday. Aren't they gorgeous? They were all green bulbs at first, and it's been so fun to watch them slowly bloom!


For Mother's Day, I told my boys that the thing I wanted most was a smile from Izzy. Boy, did I get one! Today's been an adventure. Here's how it has gone:

7:45am - Izzy wakes me up with screams, but then gives me about 5 minutes of straight smiles as I pick him up & change his diaper. Makes my day.
7:50am - More fussing and screaming
7:51am - Another huge smile as he begins to nurse.
8:30am - Izzy finishes eating
8:30-9:15am - Burping, screaming, swaddling, & soothing until he falls asleep & I lay him back in his bassinet.
9:15am - Breakfast time for me!
9:30am - I take the dogs out
9:35am- While outside, the dogs & I hear Izzy screaming again. Louie panics & we come back inside.
9:37am- We come in the door and Brian is soothing Izzy. Brian tells me Izzy was snorting, so we suction him. More smiles!
9:40am - More fussing & rooting, so I nurse him for a few more minutes and try to calm him down.
10:00am - Izzy's finally asleep, so I put him back in his bassinet & begin to pump. (I'm trying to build a milk storage for baby sitters.)
10:20am- I finish pumping, clean my pump, prepare milk for storage.
10:25am- Dogs beg me for food. I feed them, & supervise to keep them from stealing from each other.
10:30am - Izzy screams again. I pick him up & try to sooth him.
10:40am- I put Izzy back in his bassinet, but he's not having it. Bassinet = more screams.
10:45am- I give up & take him into to bed with me. I'm exhausted & wanting to sleep. Izzy is now calm, alert, & wanting to snuggle and play.
10:50am- We decide to compromise. Izzy & I snuggle while he watches me sleep. Somewhere in here, he falls asleep too.
12:10pm- He cries, wanting more milk. I latch him on, and we nurse while lying down in bed.
12:20pm- We sit up. Since we need to leave for 1pm church in 30 minutes, I unlatch Izzy & try to get him to wrap things up.
12:25pm- He pukes up EVERYTHING in his whole belly. Which turns out to be A LOT. I didn't know his belly could fit that much milk! Izzy, the bed & I are now completely soaked.
12:26pm- Big smile! Puking must have felt really good.
12:30pm- After trying in vain to clean me, him, and the bed, I change his diaper & take him into the shower. There's time at this point to clean him, but not me.
12:40pm- We get out of the shower. More screaming. I get Izzy dressed.
12:45pm- I realize that Izzy's screaming because he's hungry. Yeah... because he just completely emptied his stomach!

At this point, I have no clothes on, no makeup, a hungry, screaming, child, & we're 5 minutes away from the time we have to leave for church. Needless to say, we didn't make it in time. In fact, by the time we arrived, we were a whole hour late.

2:00- We arrive. Sacrament meeting lets out, & we get stopped by various people.
2:30- After talking with a couple of people in the hall, we all go to Sunday School.
2:40- Izzy starts fussing again, so I take him to the mother's lounge. He's starving again, so I nurse him.
3:10- He finishes nursing.
3:10-3:20 - Burping
3:20 - I change his diaper. I try to be extra careful to put a burp cloth over him to keep him from peeing all over the place.
3:25 - More screaming. When I pick him up, I realize that he peed to the side, and the burp cloth couldn't keep him from wetting the entire back of his shirt.
3:26- I check the diaper bag for a change of clothes, only to realize that I forgot one. I dry my boy off with the burp cloth, then put my poor screaming shirtless baby in his stroller. This isn't working.
3:30- I bring my screaming child down the hall & go find Brian. He immediately recognizes Izzy's screams, & packs his stuff up to come help.

3:40- Naked Izzy finally starts to settle down a little with the help of some bouncing around in his dad's arms. We decide to call it a valiant effort & head home to put some clothes on our kid.
3:50: We arrive home. Izzy's hungry again, so he nurses some more.
4:05: He needs another diaper change, so I change him. Brian & I laugh about how this Mother's Day has been about what life as a mother is really like. I put a cute new giraffe-print cloth diaper on Izzy, and Brian offers to take a picture of me with my naked jungle baby on our 1st Mother's Day.

This picture makes me smile. And Mr. Iz makes me smile even more. In fact, his sweet smile makes me melt. Even with all the puking, clothes-wetting, running late, and screaming, he's made this Mother's Day one I will cherish forever.
Thunderous baby poo as the photo was being taken = this expression.

Brian asked me, "Do you think they make Precious Moments statues of babies puking all over their moms?" Excellent question. If they don't, they should!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah...the first six minutes went exactly as Izzy and I had rehearsed. He forgot the script though and started to improvise on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are both really cute by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day Jen! I guess it's a good reminder that life as a mom is hard but worth it. That picture is perfect though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm . . . while reading that I just kept telling myself no no no, you want kids, yes you do, it will be fine, you will be ok with this lol. Izzy sure is adorable, so I'm sure that makes up for a lot of it. A very Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy first Mother's Day! That picture of you and Izzy is darling! I've actually never seen Izzy scream. Every time I've seen him he's been a sleeping angel, but I guess everything in life has its ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Happy Mother's Day!
    You sound like you have a great attitude! Newborn stage is the hardest, but it will pass. Soon he will be 'talking' and laughing! Time goes by so fast. I think I cried every day for the first two months, and then here he is asking to drink milk and to watch cartoons "I want Misty Risque". How did he learn how to talk!?
    You are nursing! That's awesome!
    The picture is beautiful and you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy first Mother's Day! You look gorgeous in this picture! I can totally relate to this post. There was a lot of crying and screaming in our house for the first several months. Ansley puked up more than I think she could eat in several meals. Yuck. Anyway, it helped her sleep when she was inclined (ie being held or in her bouncer). In hindsight, she probably had reflex. PS naked babies are the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You go girl! I think you are awesome! P.S. I love that picture! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...